Spring Plants Toxic to Pets in the Des Moines Area by Dr. Nancy Peterson
April 8, 2013
Spring plants can be toxic to pets by Dr Nancy Peterson
We love the first flowers of spring, but you need to be aware that some of these beauties
in your garden can harmful to your pets and may require a trip to your Des Moines vet clinic.
Tulips and Hyacinths
These leaves and flowers are harmless, but the bulbs are toxic. Make sure that your pet does not dig them up in the yard. The bulbs can cause drooling, vomiting and diarrhea depending on the amount consumed.
The bulbs of daffodils are more toxic than even tulips and hyacinths. If your pet chews or eats these, they can cause serious vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain, even possibly cardiac arrythmias and respiratory depression. Pets that consume these need to be examined at your Des Moines vet clinic.
Some lilies are extremely dangerous and others are relatively harmless. Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies cause minor drooling. The more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, including Tiger, Day, Asiatic and Easter – all of which are highly toxic to cats! Even ingesting a small amount (such as the pollen, or two to three petals or leaves) is an emergency and can result in severe kidney failure. The sooner you get your cat treatment, the more effective it will be.
There are two Crocus plants: the more common spring-blooming crocus bulb can cause gastrointestinal upset, but it’s the fall bloomer that is highly toxic when ingested. The Autumn Crocus can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure and will require immediate treatment at your Des Moines vet clinic.
Lily of the Valley
This plant contains cardiac toxins and can cause vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures.
If you have concerns about these or any other plant toxins, please contact your Des Moines vet clinic or the Healthcare Team at Ingersoll Animal Hospital.